Distributor Industry Sales
In April 2015, ASI® commissioned an exclusive survey to estimate industry sales for Q1 2015. The industry outlook for 2015 was also included in the study. Invitations went to ASI distributor members who had been in business at least one year. The results of this survey will be published in Counselor PromoGram®, on ASICentral.com and in multiple external media outlets.
A total of 508 distributor firms responded to the survey.
Q1 2015 Sales vs. Q1 2014 Sales
- In total, just over one-half of distributors reported a year-over-year increase in first quarter sales.
- Larger revenue distributors reported somewhat more positive results than smaller ones.
- Year-over-year sales continued in a positive direction in Q1 2015, albeit at a somewhat slower rate than in past quarters.
- Large distributors with over $1 million in annual sales are experiencing the greatest growth.
- Quarter-over-quarter industry sales were up for half of all distributors in the first quarter of 2015 when compared to the first quarter of 2014.
- The six quarter moving average has leveled off.
Expectations for 2015 sales vs. 2014 sales
- One in six distributors are expecting a sales increase in 2015 compared to 2014.
Counselor Confidence Index
Patterned after The Conference Board's Consumer Confidence Index®, the Counselor Confidence Index is an indicator designed to measure distributor health, which is defined as the degree of optimism on the state of the industry that distributors are experiencing through the results of their business operations. The value from the industry health question is compared against each respective score since 2001, and an index is derived. The year 2001 was chosen as a benchmark because it was neither a peak nor trough in the business cycle.
Starting with Q1 2013, the Counselor Confidence Index is measured quarterly, instead of annually, to provide more timely information about the state of the industry.
- The Counselor Confidence Index inched slightly higher in Q1 to a new high.