Distributor Industry Sales
In September 2014, ASI® commissioned an exclusive survey to estimate industry sales for Q3 2014. The industry outlook for 2014 was also included in the study. Invitations went to ASI distributor members who were the primary contact with their firms and had been in business at least one year. The results of this survey will be published in Counselor PromoGram®, on ASICentral.com and in multiple external media outlets.
A total of 374 distributor firms responded to the survey.
Q3 2014 Sales vs. Q3 2013 Sales
- In total, just over one-half of distributors reported a year-over-year increase in third-quarter sales.
- Larger revenue distributors reported somewhat more positive results than smaller ones.
- Year-over-year sales continued to swing in a positive direction in Q3 2014 when compared with Q3 2013.
- Large distributors with over $1 million in annual sales are experiencing the greatest growth.
- Quarter-over-quarter industry sales were up for more than half of all distributors in the third quarter of 2014 when compared to the third quarter of 2013.
- The six quarter moving average continues to trend upwards.
Sales Forecast 2014 vs. 2013
- Distributors remain bullish about their prospects for 2014, with two-thirds expecting an increase in sales over 2013.
- Larger revenue distributors are even more positive than smaller revenue distributors, with nearly three-quarters expecting an increase.
Counselor Confidence Index
Patterned after The Conference Board's Consumer Confidence Index®, the Counselor Confidence Index is an indicator designed to measure distributor health, which is defined as the degree of optimism on the state of the industry that distributors are experiencing through the results of their business operations. The value from the industry health question is compared against each respective score since 2001, and an index is derived. The year 2001 was chosen as a benchmark because it was neither a peak nor trough in the business cycle.
Starting with Q1 2013, the Counselor Confidence Index is measured quarterly, instead of annually, to provide more timely information about the state of the industry.
- The Counselor Confidence Index remained relatively unchanged in the third quarter of 2014.