TREVOSE, PA – August 7, 2014 – The Advertising Specialty Institute® (ASI) today announced all five of its magazines won a total of five national and 13 regional awards from ASBPE in one of the nation’s largest and most competitive business publication competitions.
The ASBPE honors – in digital and print categories covering both editorial and graphic design – were presented as part of its 36th annual Azbee Awards of Excellence at the organization’s national conference in Chicago. ASI magazines competed against publications like Inc. and Computerworld.
ASI publications deliver outstanding editorial content to suppliers, distributors, decorators and screen-printers in the $20.5 billion advertising specialty industry. Since 2004, ASI publications have been honored with over 120 editorial and design awards. Melinda Ligos is editor in chief of all ASI magazines, and senior vice president of professional development.
“I’m delighted that our unprecedented winning streak continues with the most recent ASBPE honors,” said Timothy M. Andrews, president and chief executive officer of ASI. “It takes a talented team of editors, managing editors, Web producers, bloggers, writers, designers and photographers to consistently produce award-winning magazines whose quality sets them a world apart from all other industry publications while earning the continued respect and loyalty of the readers we serve.”
“By continually producing engaging, exclusive content, we create a compelling environment for both readers and advertisers who want to reach an audience that is engaged in our industry and excited to turn every page of ASI’s magazines,” said ASI’s publisher, Rich Fairfield.
The national award winners are:
Stitches, edited by Nicole Rollender
- Honorable mention for Magazine of the Year
- Gold award for Regular Department, Advantages University, Tonia Cook Kimbrough, contributing writer
- Gold award for Redesign, Glen Karpowich, senior designer
- Gold award for Opening Page/Spread Typographic, “Innovation in the Office,” Glen Karpowich
- Silver award for Opening Page/Spread, “Cake Boss,” Glen Karpowich
The Mid-Atlantic regional winners are:
- Gold for Regular Department, Advantages University
- Bronze for Editorial/Editor’s Letter, Andy Cohen
- Gold for Opening Page/Spread Typographic, “Innovation in the Office”
- Silver for How-To Article, “Before Disaster Strikes,” Dave Vagnoni, senior editor
- Silver for Opening Page/Spread Typographic, “Cake Boss”
- Silver for Special Section, “Matter of Trust,” Dave Vagnoni; Betsy Cummings, senior writer
SGR™, edited by Michele Bell
- Gold for Front Cover Photo, The Bull Cover, Hillary Glen, art director; Glen Karpowich
- Silver for Front Cover Photo, The Fashion Issue, Mark Pricskett, editorial photographer; Hillary Glen
- Silver for Social Media Presence, Chris Ruvo, staff writer
- Bronze for Feature Design, “Fall Fashion Preview 2013,” Glen Karpowich, Mark Pricskett
- Gold for Magazine Redesign
- Silver for Product Section/Department, Wearables Trends, Alissa Tallman, contributing writer; Chuck Zak, copy writer; Glen Karpowich; Hillary Glen
- Silver for Front Cover photo, “The Style Issue,” Mark Pricskett, Hillary Glen
ASI publishes seven catalogs, five magazines and 11 newsletters. ASI’s magazine circulation is audited and growing, and Counselor’s collection of top lists are now the industry standard. ASI’s publications are available online and in print and also connect with readers via social media. ASI is the only publisher that has a publication for every link of the supply chain.