Partners With CCO
MadeToOrder (asi/259540) has formalized a joint operating relationship
with CCO Group bv, a Netherlands-based promotional-products company. Under the
agreement, CCO will represent MadeToOrder in Europe, the Middle East and Africa;
MadeToOrder will represent CCO in the U.S. “This helps each company provide
our clients with richer international sources for products and services,” says
Rod Brown, MadeToOrder managing partner.
Business To Come From
Pharmaceutical giant Bristol-Myers Squibb announced yesterday that it is voluntarily
discontinuing direct-to-consumer advertising for the first year of a product’s
release – a fairly strong decision in the face of the number of direct
ads currently in the market. What does this mean for distributors? There could
be increased business coming from the pharmaceutical sector. Alan Zimmerman,
president of Renaissance Promotions (asi/307074), says that while pharmaceutical
ad spending in general appears to be slightly down,
action by Bristol-Myers could be
beneficial for promotional product
firms. “Especially if other
firms install a policy like that,
there’s a possibility it
could mean more opportunity for
promotional products sales.”
As reported in PromoGram Vol. 362 (June 9, 2005), Art Rhodes, CEO of Counselor
Top 40 Bodek and Rhodes (asi/40788) died on June 8th at the age
of 61 from leukemia. Rhodes took over the business in 1971 after the death of
his father and switched the company's focus from retail to imprinted sportswear.
Under his leadership the company grew into one of the industry’s largest
national apparel suppliers. He also helped pioneer several practices now considered
standard, including the multiline catalog and toll-free numbers for ordering.
Mr. Rhodes was in semi-retirement for the past five yeas with day-to-day operations
being handled by his son Mike, company president, who issued the following statement
about his father: "He lived his life caring about his family and employees
at a level that was truly special. He lived following two guiding principles
that he has taught all of us: 'Do what you have to do,' and 'Always, always,
do the right thing.' He was a fantastic employer, a wonderful father of three
and grandfather of seven, and a loving and caring husband for forty years."
Industry Execs Fret About
Sales and profits are rising across the board in the promotional products industry –but
that doesn’t mean its leaders are getting a good night’s sleep, according
to an exclusive Counselor Webcast held on Tuesday. Moderated by Counselor Editor-in-Chief
Melinda Ligos, along with Counselor Editor Andy Cohen, the Webcast featured
Marc Simon, president of HALO/Lee Wayne (asi/218450); Paul Pickard,
president of American Identity (asi/120601); and Andy Hilton, vice president
of sales for Alpha Shirt Company (asi/34408), a division of Broder.
The Webcast offered listeners a sneak peak
the results of Counselor’s
annual State of the Industry survey,
which will be published in
mid-July. Although Cohen revealed
sales and profit numbers that
haven’t been seen since
2000, the panelists reported
Here’s a sampling:
On end-buyers: “End-buyers are getting a lot more sophisticated about their
purchasing. They’re really the ones that are squeezing the profit margins
throughout their entire supply chain.” - Paul Pickard
On shrinking profit margins: “Margin pressure is a reality of every business,
and it’s only going to become more pronounced, particularly in our industry.” -
On price increases: “Our average price of T-shirts last year was around
the 80-cent range, and this year’s it’s up above a dollar. So we
see the supply side being a very worrisome part of our business.” - Andy
the full article about the
Webcast - plus the latest
industry facts and figures
- in our upcoming State
of the Industry issue.
The News Counselor has won two 2005 Tabbie
Awards – a bronze for the Dan Townes
profile in the December 2004 issue and
an honorable mention for the November
2004 “Who Owns The Client” cover.
The Tabbies are presented to business-to-business
magazines by Trade, Association and
Business Publications International.
In Advertising/Solutions (asi/109480) will be
providing bobblehead dolls of Golf Lad, a Pinehurst Resort
icon, as well as other promotional products, for the US
Open, which begins today in North Carolina.
Services has changed its name to PromoCard Services (asi/79880),
recently donated over $5,500 to the Susan G. Koman Breast
Cancer Foundation, based on sales of IMC’s breast-cancer
awareness items sold between last July and December.
Wall Promotions (asi/287017) will be handling
the 25th anniversary Aids-Awareness ribbons for AIDS Services
for the Monadnock (NH) Region.
Graphic’s (asi/80345) Slap, Wrap & Go
beverage insulator will be featured on a “Today Show” segment
Monday, June 20.
Albrecht (asi/116308) has acquired two Philadelphia-based
companies - YNOA Advertising (asi/364893) and
Red Hot Promotions Inc., a non-listed firm. Terms were
not disclosed. Suzette Albrecht, PA president, said the
acquisitions give the firm more of a competitive advantage.
On The Move
(asi/300094) has named Chris Simnick chief franchise
Group (asi/298497) has added JoAnn Easley and
Jenny Ott to its board.
(asi/43051) has named Greg Severance IT manager
and Carl Cody chief programmer.
other new and
visit the Product Central section on ASICentral.com.
Foam Finger Frenzy asi/48510
- Let your fingers do the walking...FoamWorx: Top Rated Industry provider of the ever popular Foam Finger. Dare to compare. You cannot import for Less. Free RUSH Service.
Business Card Note Pad ASI 51193-New Location!asi/51193
- Present your business card in a different way! Business Card Note Pad by EMBA creates the all important first impression to potential clients and customers. www.businesscardnotepad.com
Super Low Prices ASI 61125asi/61125
- Cute & Handy Self Sitting Highlighters at Super Low Prices
High Fashion Mesh Totes Below EQPasi/79395
- High fashion Mesh Totes for all your summer promotions.
Celebrate 4th of July with Prime--ASI 79530asi/79530
- Celebrate 4th of July with Prime!View Special...
Introducing 2005 New and Improved Titleist Models asi/57667
- Titleist on Special!
Neoprene Clips EQP Special ASI62050asi/62050
- Neoprene clips for lip balms, sanitizers, sunscreen & more for people on the go.
Designed to Impress!asi/92357
- Removable, and easy transportable mass storage has gone though significant technological development with the uptake of solid-state non-volatile Flash memory as used in CompactFlash and Secure Digital.View Special...
HOT SUNSHADES QUICK DELIVERY FROM ASI/37586 INTERTEKasi/62838
- FREE SETUP OR FREE 5 DAY RUSH
Make your 4th of July Sparkle with Lin Lineasi/36730
- 15% OFF all Patriotic Stress Relievers.View Special...
Fey Line School Supplies Excel! asi/54040
- School supplies from Fey Line that deserve an A+!View Special...
Keep Your Name on Their Lips!asi/62656
- Tropical Burst Lip Balm to keep your clients thinking about you!View Special...
Custom Labeled Bottled Water is the Perfect Summer Promotion!asi/79349
- Excellent customer service, unbeatable prices, great packaging and continual reliability have made PLWC the leader in the private label bottled water industry. You can be confident that your order will be on time, every time for all your events!
KR Line introduces SPECIALTY PLANNERS with SELLING POWER! asi/65670asi/65670
- KR Line introduces SPECIALTY PLANNERS with SELLING POWER! asi/65670
Check out these HOT NEW unique products NOW if you have clients in the medical, finance, funeral, insurance or fitness industries! See what everyone is talking about (and selling!)
Metal Pen - Good Price asi/49685
- Metal Pen - Good Price asi/49685 See ESPOnline for All Our ProductsView Special...
Low Cost, High Quality Acrylic Barware from HOWWasi/61952
- HOWW's line of Acrylic Pints and Shakers come in 3 sizes, up to 10 colors, and in a variety of unique forms.
Assorted Mint Cards from Promotrends ASI #79925asi/79925
- Sugarfree Peppermint Mint Cards in all shapes and sizes!
Save Your Golf Game and $5000 with New "Stroke Saver" Calendarasi/35400
- This page-a-day calendar features a rule, hint, or joke every day of the year. 12 of the 20 top public golf courses have participated. This is the perfect tournament prize - Calendar can start any month!