Design Ideas’ Rubber Duck magnets and Blowfish and Splat magnets were recalled because small magnets can easily detach from the products and cause hazards to children. However, no injuries or incidents regarding the products had been reported to the CPSC. “If swallowed, magnets can link together inside a child's intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death,” the CPSC said in its report on the recall. “Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects.”
About 27,000 of the items were sold in Nordstrom’s Rack stores, CB2 stores, and novelty, gift and book stores between March 2007 and February 2014. The CPSC said that consumers should immediately stop using the products, especially if they’re in reach of children, and return them to Design Ideas for a refund.