I went to college at SUNY New Paltz and got a degree in media management.
- My childhood ambition was to be a radio DJ.
- I got into the promo products industry because after college, in a difficult job market, I started looking for jobs involving “promotions.” My Internet searches brought me to a job as a sales assistant at a promotional products distributor. At the time I had never even heard of the industry, but I ended up really enjoying the creativity and problem-solving aspects of the job. Here I am now at Motivators over five years and in the industry almost 10.
- You might be surprised to know that I took a job for a local radio station after college to work for their street team. My responsibilities ranged from putting up tents and giving away promotional products to even dressing up as a mascot duck on occasion.
In college I had no idea what I wanted to major in; it ranged from journalism to screenwriting to TV/radio production. Finally my adviser and mentor Professor James Smith sat me down and asked me why I looked into all of these majors. Believe it or not, he advised me to simplify what I wanted to do, and why I wanted to do it. He told me to look into a career in promotions. While I don’t think he meant promotional products, it did help guide me to my career today.
One of my favorite customers to work with is a local amusement park on Long Island. Some of the most interesting items we have done for them include T-shirts to help visitors look like the park’s roaming mascot, and ice cream helmets that look like his cap.
- My proudest achievement is being named the first SAAGNY Rising Star a few years ago, and this past year, I was awarded SAAGNY’s Past Presidents Scholarship, which gave me the opportunity to experience the PPAI Expo in Las Vegas firsthand.
- On my days off, you will find me at CitiField taking in a New York Mets game.
- My theme song is Macklemore’s “Can’t Hold Us.”
- If I could trade places with someone for a day, it would be Sandy Alderson, general manager of the New York Mets. Give me 24 hours and I’ll fix that team!