Unique materials make appliqué stand out on headwear.
1. Select the appliqué material. Hoop the material and stitch the outline for the appliqué shape.
2. Load the hat to be decorated onto the machine. Stitch out the area where the appliqué will be placed.
3. Remove the appliqué fabric with the stitched outline from the hoop. Hand-cut the design around the edges of the outline, removing excess material.
4. Tack down the appliqué fabric on the hat, using the outline that was already stitched on the hat to ensure proper placement.
5. Embroider the final stitching around the appliqué.
Proper placement is key to ensure that the appliqué is centered on the hat. Make sure the stitch-out into the appliqué fabric and the stitch-out on the hat match precisely. It’s also a good idea to make sure the appliqué is cut out as precisely as possible. Having all the shapes conform will ensure a consistent, finished look.
All embroidery and instructions provided by RJ Silva of EyeKandy Designs.