1. The ratings system is designed with two major goals
2. How the System Works
1. The ratings system is designed with two major goals:
- It provides distributors the opportunity to share with the entire distributor network their opinion, in ratings and in optional comments, about about their purchase transactions with suppliers.
- In an industry where too often decisions are made purely on price, it allows suppliers to differentiate themselves on their service. This helps distributors to realize they may want to consider making a selection on how well they will be served overall, and not just by how cheap a supplier’s price might be.
ASI Supplier Performance Ratings are calculated every day across each of six areas, creating the most accurate and timely picture available in the industry. The information is available to all ASI distributors and suppliers.
2. How the System Works
The process is designed to be transparent, to allow flexibility for distributors and suppliers, and to encourage a dialog between all parties.
- Distributors can rate their transactions with suppliers through ESP Online (from the supplier detail screen or the tools menu); by downloading and faxing back the form posted at www.asicentral.com/supplierratings; or by clicking the "Rate a Supplier" link on the homepage navigation of www.asicentral.com for the online form. There must be a completed purchase transaction in order to rate a supplier.
- Distributors use a 1-5 scale (very poor to excellent) to rate each of six areas. They can also submit comments about their experience. The numerical results from these ratings are then converted to be shown as stars. Many numeric ratings have no comments.
- The six areas distributors can rate are: Overall Satisfaction, Product Quality, Communications, Delivery, Imprinting/Personalization, and Problem Resolution.
- If a written comment is submitted, it is forwarded to the supplier for review before it is posted. The supplier has five business days to respond with a comment about the distributor and the distributor’s comments. Both comments are then posted together. If no response is received from the supplier, then the distributor comment is posted alone.
- Written comments include the name and ASI number of the submitting distributor, making the identity of the individual firm completely visible to the supplier and to other distributors.
- We conduct spot checks of non-online submissions and, if we find a pattern we think suspicious, more thoroughly investigate and eliminate any unusual submissions. Although we don't disclose which suppliers we've conducted such spot checks of, one way we decide is by reviewing discussion boards.
- ASI has the only ratings system in the industry that automatically purges comments and individual rating submissions every quarter, based on a rolling 18-month cycle.
While there is some concern among suppliers that the ratings and the comments are mostly negative, that is not the case at all. The overwhelming majority of ratings and comments are quite positive.
More details and a Q+A section are included below. Let me know what you think about the ASI Supplier Performance Ratings System - my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The average supplier rating is 3.70, which is represented graphically as three-and-a-half stars.
- Comments are posted for suppliers 25% of the time and suppliers respond to 11% of the comments they receive. A review shows most of the other comments are positive and require no reply.
- Suppliers with an average overall numeric score of at least 3.75 (rounded to four stars), and who have five distributors submitting reports, are eligible for special ASI programs and recognition. These include the opportunity to place advertising in the Select catalog or to exhibit at the ASI Holiday & Incentives Expo in Las Vegas, and it is part of the criteria to qualify for a Counselor Distributor Choice Awards nomination. Currently, 670 suppliers meet this elite status.
4. ASI Supplier Performance Ratings System Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where can I find ASI supplier performance ratings?
A: ESP Online, on www.asicentral.com and in the ASI Quarterly Register.
Q: Where can a distributor rate a supplier?
A: Three ways:
- ESP Online/ESP Web (from the supplier detail screen or the tools menu)
- Download and fax back the form posted at www.asicentral.com/supplierratings
- Click the link under the "Home" area of www.asicentral.com for the online form
To ensure data integrity, only ASI members can view content and rate suppliers on www.asicentral.com.
Q: Where can suppliers get a ratings form they can send to distributors?
Q: Where can a supplier rate a distributor?
A: Suppliers can submit distributor payment habits to ASI, and that information is used to derive a unique credit score for every distributor firm. The scores are displayed in ASI CreditConnect, and those credit reports include in-depth data on paying habits, past-due reports, current versus prior credit comparisons and other important details.
Q: How often are supplier ratings rotated out of the system?
A: Individual rating submissions and comments are automatically purged every quarter, based on a rolling 18-month cycle.
Q: As a supplier, where do I ask questions about my ratings?
A: Visit ESP Online for Suppliers or www.asicentral.com to view your rating. Questions? Reach ASI Customer Service at 1-800-546-1350 or by emailing email@example.com.
Q: As a 5-Star rated supplier, where can I find a logo to use in my advertising?
A: 5-Star-rated suppliers can download their logo by clicking here.
Q: Why should suppliers like a ratings system?
A: It provides a way for superior suppliers to stand out based on the quality of their service and on the enthusiastic recommendation of one distributor to another – not just on price.
Q: How long does it take for a rating to be posted?
- Ratings, submitted via ESP Online or ESP Web – Overnight
- Comments – About seven business days
Q: In ESP Online, there are references listed for suppliers on the supplier detail screen. Do those references have anything to do with the ratings?
A: Yes. The independent references are taken from the distributors who have rated a supplier through ESP Online/ESP Web.
Q: What are the six areas that are rated in the ASI Supplier Performance Ratings?
A: Feedback includes a comments box and ratings for the categories below:
- Overall Satisfaction
- Product Quality
- Problem Resolution
Q: How do the ratings from the six areas fit into the overall star rating?
A: Ratings are averaged across each area to produce an average numerical score, which is then converted to a star rating. Numbers are rounded up or down to the nearest half-point to determine the corresponding star rating.
4.75 to 5.00
4 1/2 Star
4.25 to 4.74
3.75 to 4.24
3 1/2 Star
3.25 to 3.74
2.75 to 3.24
2 1/2 Star
2.25 to 2.74
1.75 to 2.24
1 1/2 Star
1.25 to 1.74
1.00 to 1.24
Q: What is the process for written comments?
A: ASI Customer Service reps read every comment submitted. If it includes inappropriate or foul language, the comment is rejected. If not, it is forwarded to the supplier via email. The supplier has five business days to respond. If the supplier responds, then that response is also read by ASI Customer Service reps. Both comments are then posted together within about seven business days. If the supplier does not reply, the distributor comment is posted alone.
Q: Why would a rating be rejected?
- Rating was already submitted for that transaction.
- Inappropriate language in the comments area.
- Transaction was not completed.
Q: Can decorator members submit ratings?
A: Not at this time.
Q: Is Overall Satisfaction an average of the other five areas that can be rated?
A: Overall Satisfaction is calculated just like the other areas.
Q: If a supplier doesn’t agree with a rating, can anything be done?
A: A supplier has five days to respond to a distributor’s comment. If a supplier responds, it is reviewed by ASI Customer Service employees and both comments are posted. For questions regarding the process, contact ASI Customer Service at 1-800-546-1350.
Q: If I am a supplier, how can I encourage my customers to rate me?
A: A form is available at www.asicentral.com/supplierratings which suppliers can include in order shipments or confirmation emails. Visit www.asicentral.com/asp/open/MemberBenefits/why_supprate.asp for more ideas.
Q: How do I know the submitted ratings represent actual transactions?
A: A distributor must be an active ASI distributor member and agree to the following statement when submitting a rating: “I hereby certify that the entry made represents a legitimate transaction between my company and the supplier and that any statements I make are, to the best of my knowledge, accurate.” Only completed transactions are accepted for entry into the system.
Q: If there is no comment, does a supplier receive notification when a rating is made?
A: No. Notifications are only sent when a comment is made.
Q: Where do email notifications about ratings get sent?
A: The primary email address ASI has on record. A supplier can verify an address or request a different email address be used by contacting ASI at 1-800-546-1350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.